Gaming Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009

Go down

WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 Empty WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009

Post  Admin Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:04 am

My first review written specifically for Gaming Alliance. I have experience of writing reviews for nearlly a year now. As always this will be written to the strict Gaming Alliance review guidelines. Something we forgot to mention is the percentage (%) rule. This consists of 80% opinion, 20% hardcore truth.

So here goes:
This is probably the big one for the SVR series. It's already had it's ups and downs and this is only the 4th in the series. The argument over which is best is pretty even. Everybody liked 06, but only few loved it. Some loved 07, some hated it, many thought it as medioka. 08. Oh 08, how gracious it is to me. Many Loved it, many hated it, that's how it seems. Think of it as the marmite game. Now, 09 has arrived and this time, it's make or break for the SVR franchise. Thankfully, I have the game, so I can write a fair, honest review.

Small Insight: This game is a video game version of the real life WWE Wrestling association, which is broadcast to a world-wide audience. The games are fun to play, but sometimes tricky and frustrating. It contains nearlly all the superstars on the roster. It also contains about 90-95% of all the types of matches.

Rosters: This year's game contains a good updated roster IMO. A few last minute changes have put the wrestlers in their respected brands, where they consist of in reality. Th most highlighted points would be the new superstars added this year, but also, the ones who have gone. We no longer have Kenny Dykstra, Gregory Helms, Shane McMahon and most notably, the legends who have disappeared, such as, The Rock, Bret Hart and Stone Cold Steve Austin. But as I said, there are some new superstars appearing this year. They include, Brian Kendrick & Paul London, Hawkins & Ryder, The Boogeyman, Beth Phoenix, Santino Marella and most of all, Chris Jericho. You also have the oppurtunity to switch the superstars to different brands as you wish.

Match Types: There's still a big selection of matches to pick from, but once again, some have gone, some have come and some are still missing. First, the ones that have gone. The buried alive match has gone from the selection, which is slightly disappointing for dark, death lovers. That seems to be the only one gone missing. Now, ones that have appeared. Most notable is the inferno match. Many people had gone on and on about them including this match and it's finally here. Falls count anywhere is another additional type. This mode is good for anyone who enjoys taking their opponent away from the ring, beating the living snot out of them and then can't be bothered to take them back to the ring. Finally, is the backstage matches. You can now take it backstage for a more, 'private' beating. Lastly, the ones that STILL aren't here. Bra & Panties match, Punjabi Prison match and the Extreme Elimination Chamber. Hopefully we'll see them in the next game.

New Feature's: There are 2 new feature's that really stick out. One, being the Road to Wrestlemania and the other being create-a-finisher. The Road to Wrestlemania is a cool feature, which allows you to take 1 of 7 choices on their 83 day road to Wrestlemania. it contains real-life occurences and some reality looking feature's. Create-a-finisher is the most anticipated feature of this game, allowing you to do as it says, create a finisher. The only downside to this is that you can only create them from standing-facing positions. You can't do grounded, top rope, standing-behind, running or diving moves. But if you want to try your hand at making a killer move, it's worth it.

Lo's: There are a few lo's to mention, and in some respect, they're quite major and painfull. Firstly, you can no longer go into the crowd and fight extremely hardcore like in 08. This isn't good news for hardcore extremeistsm who are intent in doing it next to the crowd. Next, there is no create-a-belt mode. This is probably the biggest lo for people who have CAW (Create-a-Wrestler) shows on youtube or something similar. With no ability to create your own belt, a CAW brand is pretty much rendered useless, which is very harsh! Finally, the 'outside the ring' camera. I see what they're trying to do, by placing camera's around the ring, just like the camera men in reality. BUT, to be honest, it's very annoying. It's ok if you're just outside the ring, but if you go near the barracades, it doesn't really move postition and is too close. This also occurs next to the announce table's.

Overview: A good, enjoyable game, that I can play for hours on end. I'm sure others can too. A few lo's, but hopefully, they read into it for next year's game and sort it out. Visually brilliant and just pure WWE. A must have for real WWE fans, but you will moan from time to time.
---------------------
Graphics: On Next-Gen consoles, amazing, but all round for all consoles, it's still great. 8/10

Sound: Entrance themes sound amazing and can still produce goose-pimples. Other sounds are good too, the ref might be too realistic though. 9/10

Gameplay: Uses the same engine from 08, but it's been tweaked. It plays a bit quicker and more realistically. 8/10

Innovation: Maybe the one thing it really lacks. I suppose it's hard to innovate a wrestling game in places. 6/10

Multiplayer: One of the only games in history that plays exactly how single player plays. Simply great. 8/10

Value For Money: Just under £40 on Next-Gen, around £30 for Wii and PS2. Pretty good for what you get. 8/10

TLC: They've taken amazing care on visuals and sounds, which is maybe where they didn't think about feature's much. 7/10

Difficulty: Easy, Medium and Hard are very easy for hardcore WWE gamers. Thankfully, Legend difficulty is fairly challenging. Career and RTW modes are very easy though. 7/10

Tricky Stuff: Legend mode when you're against an opponent of a higher rating. 7/10

Cheats: There are a few cheats, but they only unlock things you really want. Nothing that helps you win easily. 9/10

Overview: A great buy for WWE lovers and wrestling fans, but like I said, you may be disappointed in places.

TOTAL: 77%
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 747
Warning :
WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-08

https://gamingalliance.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down